Search
You are here:  About Us > Our History
  |  Login
Our History

The First Baptist Church of Titusville was founded May 19, 1889 at the County Court House with fourteen charter members.  They adopted the Church Covenant, Articles of Faith, Rules of Decorum and called as their Pastor, Rev. A.D. Cohen, a Christian Jew who led in the erection of the First House of Worship in 1892 on Palm Avenue.

In 1944, Deacon J. D. Pepper, Sr. on a temporary stay in Tallahassee was deeply concerned about a new church house in Titusville.  He sent a $25.00 Government bond and a letter of challenge and Inspiration to the church for a new Sanctuary.  This was the very first contribution to be received by the Church for building purposes. 
 
Rev.  Bennett F. Hall the next Pastor led in the formulation of a building program.  Fifth Sundays were designated as Building Fund Days on which "Love Offerings" would be received for the new building.  Ground-Breaking ceremonies were conducted Sunday morning March 6, 1949 and construction began the following Monday morning.  Dr. William S. Hardin became the pastor in the Spring of 1950 and led in the completion of the Sanctuary and payment of all indebtedness by Love offerings.
 
The present sanctuary on the corner of Main and Hopkins Avenue, was completed in 1954.  soon after a pastorium and Educational building was constructed.

The Church continued to feel the impact of the Space Age under the leadership of Rev. Peter Lord.  Conditions became so crowded that three Sunday morning worship services could not accommodate the booming population.  On May 24, 1969 new facilities were completed on Park Avenue Baptist Church.
 
The ministry of First Baptist Church continued "downtown" as Rev. J. Charles Priester was called as pastor May 24, 1970.  He served until 1978.  Over the years four mission of First Baptist Church were begun which eventually became Central Baptist, Westside Baptist in Titusville, First Baptist of Scottsmoor and First Baptist of Port St. John.
 
 
In April 1980 Rev. Ray Johnson was called as pastor.  Under his leadership the church as been extensively refurbished.  A new ceiling, chandeliers, color scheme, and extensive structural renovations were included.  The highlight of the multistage project was the installation of stained glass windows.

The First Baptist Church of Titusville was founded May 19, 1889 at the County Court House with fourteen charter members.  They adopted the Church Covenant, Articles of Faith, Rules of Decorum and called as their Pastor, Rev. A.D. Cohen, a Christian Jew who led in the erection of the First House of Worship in 1892 on Palm Avenue.

In 1944, Deacon J. D. Pepper, Sr. on a temporary stay in Tallahassee was deeply concerned about a new church house in Titusville.  He sent a $25.00 Government bond and a letter of challenge and Inspiration to the church for a new Sanctuary.  This was the very first contribution to be received by the Church for building purposes. 
 
Rev.  Bennett F. Hall the next Pastor led in the formulation of a building program.  Fifth Sundays were designated as Building Fund Days on which "Love Offerings" would be received for the new building.  Ground-Breaking ceremonies were conducted Sunday morning March 6, 1949 and construction began the following Monday morning.  Dr. William S. Hardin became the pastor in the Spring of 1950 and led in the completion of the Sanctuary and payment of all indebtedness by Love offerings.
 
The present sanctuary on the corner of Main and Hopkins Avenue, was completed in 1954.  soon after a pastorium and Educational building was constructed.

The Church continued to feel the impact of the Space Age under the leadership of Rev. Peter Lord.  Conditions became so crowded that three Sunday morning worship services could not accommodate the booming population.  On May 24, 1969 new facilities were completed on Park Avenue Baptist Church.
 
The ministry of First Baptist Church continued "downtown" as Rev. J. Charles Priester was called as pastor May 24, 1970.  He served until 1978.  Over the years four mission of First Baptist Church were begun which eventually became Central Baptist, Westside Baptist in Titusville, First Baptist of Scottsmoor and First Baptist of Port St. John.
 
 
In April 1980 Rev. Ray Johnson was called as pastor.  Under his leadership the church as been extensively refurbished.  A new ceiling, chandeliers, color scheme, and extensive structural renovations were included.  The highlight of the multistage project was the installation of stained glass windows.